Family Development and Housing

icon-home.pngHow do I get help? Call Mahube-Otwa at Detroit Lakes 218-847-1385, Park Rapids 218-732-7204, Mahnomen 218-935-5022, Fergus Falls 218-739-3011, Wadena 218-632-3600

How do I know if I qualify? Eligibility varies depending on the service and current funding available.

Services Eligibility

Emergency Food and Shelter

Assistance for housing and utility crisis intervention.

Low-income households facing eviction and utility shut-offs.

Bremer Emergency Services

Otto Bremer Foundation grant helping families with emergencies.

Assists families facing emergencies.

Homeless Housing Assistance

One time assistance for homeless households.

Payment of a first month’s rent. Must have an eviction notice and verification of income.

Transitional Housing Assistance

Homeless households are placed in scattered site transitional housing units.

Must provide proof of income, eviction or foreclosure notice or statement of situation and comply with case management.

Family Homeless Prevention & Assistance (FHPAP)

Support to prevent homelessness including rental assistance, foreclosure prevention and case management.

Must meet income criteria of 200% or below of poverty. Must not be receiving housing assistance from another source. Must have an eviction that states you are 30-days behind or foreclosure notice or statement of situation.

Supportive Services to End Long Term Homelessness

Help to stabilize homeless person’s living situations and help them move toward maintaining a permanent home.

Must meet definition of long term homeless: “a person, family or youth who has been living on the streets or in a shelter for a year or more, or in a shelter at least 4 times in the past 3 years.” Must comply with case management.

Salvation Army (Becker County)

Vouchers for crisis intervention.

If receiving assistance through Social Services must go to your caseworker; single, male transients must go to the Sheriff’s Dept.


Family Development Special Projects

West River Townhomes

The West River townhomes consists of 12 permanent, supportive housing units. Becker County EDA/HRA owns the units and Mahube-Otwa provides assistance with occupancy and on-going, intensive case management. For more information call 218- 847-1385.

Emergency Food and Shelter

County EFSP Advisory Boards allocate emergency food and shelter funding to local programs that apply for funding. EFSP helps fund Meals on Wheels, Food Shelves, and Emergency Shelter.

Self-Sufficiency - Advocacy – Outreach - Referral

Family Development Case Managers help households work on goals for obtaining employment, education and meeting basic needs. Referrals are made to other community agencies to assist with medical, housing, budgeting, parenting, transportation and other needs.

Mahube-Otwa conducts intensive outreach with clients; assisting them complete applications for food support (food stamps), health care, and Social Security benefits.

Mahube-Otwa links families and individuals to public support programs and tax credits utilizing the “Bridge to Benefits” web site assessment project funded by the Children’s Defense Fund Minnesota.

Distribution of Food, Clothing, Gifts

Mahube-Otwa provide vouchers to local Food Shelves. Due to the generosity of local churches, civic and social groups, and individuals, Mahube-Otwa coordinates the distribution of school supplies and backpacks, winter clothing, socks, toys, quilts, food baskets and holiday gifts to families in need.